Tags: ana, borderline, considered, disorders, doctor, drugs, folks, health, immune, medications, regular, system, trust

Is a ANA of 1:80 considered high? I am just not su...

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Immune System Disorders

2,124 words with 5 Comments; publish: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:28:00 GMT; (900171.88, « »)

Is a ANA of 1:80 considered high? I am just not sure of some of these tests. My regular doctor said it was borderline. I trust you folks here more on this.

susanp :)

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 5 Comments
    • Hi -

It seems that different doctors regard different numbers as normal, but this is what my rheumie told me 5 1/2 years ago. My ANA was 1:40 and that was called low positive (normal in Texas then was 1:39 or less). I was not impressed. However, just 6 weeks later it was rechecked even though I was feeling lots better and my ANA was 1:800. That got my attention! Go figure.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Wishing you well! Barbara

#1; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:30:00 GMT
    • BarbaraH Thankyou for your response.

I guess I am like many and just trying to put 2 and 2 together,but I need to just wait and hear what the rheumy says. I still would like to hear from anyone though concerning the numbers.

susanp :)

#2; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:31:00 GMT
    • I have had a positive ANA of 1:160 and my PCP said that was a definite positive, too high to shrug off however I've had two rheumatologists tell me that 5% of the normal healthy population will have positive ANA's -- to which I want to SCREAM, IF I WAS FEELING NORMAL AND HEALTHY THEN WHY WOULD I BE HERE?? 1:80 is considered positive, just how positive depends on the doctor interpreting it I suppose. I do know though that your ANA can change from day to day even, that's why people can have one reading at one draw and a different one at another.

Hope that helps some

Love,

Shawnee

#3; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:32:00 GMT
    • Hello Ladies,

The ANA of 1:80 is considered boderline or low positive. My ANA has been 1:320 with nucleolar pattern for a while now as well as a low C3 level and anemia and leukopenia but the rest of the lupus panel was negative to include double strand DNA. The doctor has to look at the ANA as well as your family history and your symptoms. With all of your lab results included the rheumatalogist will make an informed decision. Don't be discouraged if he doesn't give you a definitive diagnosis he/she needs to be sure.

#4; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:33:00 GMT
    • I always thought a ANA of 1:40 was normal but above was positive. Sorry Im not much help.
      #5; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:34:00 GMT